Thursday 10 November 2011

Look What Beauty


I'll break my own rules to begin with - start as you mean to go on and all that - by posting a shot I like; but I will follow it up with my favourite scene.

This is a screen grab from the moment in Eyes Wide Open (2009, dir:Tabakman) when Aaron appeals to Ezri to resist temptation and pass the test he feels God is sending him. Aaron comments that God has never made a "broken tool" and illustrates his point by exclaiming that Ezri has such beauty he can't be defective.

Therein lies a key theme in the film - even as he reaffirms his faith, Aaron's words and actions are undercut by the desire he feels for Ezri and we, as the audience, are invited to gaze upon Ezri's sculpted face and note the achingly small distance between the two men.

Even to say someone is a masterpiece makes your heart soar a little - the kind of compliment you know comes from a place of truth and love, not just lust.

There's a bit more to come from this film yet.

As an aside, yes, I was watching this on BBC iPlayer - props to them for making such a beautiful film available to everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment